- Time period
- July 2010 – July 2011
- Stand alone document – Basic COP Template
- Differentiation Level
- Includes a CEO statement of continued support for the UN Global Compact and its ten principles
- Description of actions or relevant policies related to Human Rights
- Description of actions or relevant policies related to Labour
- Description of actions or relevant policies related to Environment
- Description of actions or relevant policies related to Anti-Corruption
- Includes a measurement of outcomes
- Statement of continued support by the Chief Executive Officer
Statement of the company's chief executive (CEO or equivalent) expressing continued support for the Global Compact and renewing the company's ongoing commitment to the initiative and its principles.
- No answer provided.
- Human Rights
- Assessment, policy and goals
Description of the relevance of human rights for the company (i.e. human rights risk-assessment). Description of policies, public commitments and company goals on Human Rights.
In order for the company to formulate a Human Rights Policy, it was necessary to inquire whether ASG Advisors or its members have violated, what is understood by common knowledge, human rights. The employees, employers, and the fellows volunteered to submit a testimony of such actions, and no violations were discovered.
Description of concrete actions to implement Human Rights policies, address Human Rights risks and respond to Human Rights violations.
ASG Advisors has formulated the following as its Human Rights Policy. 1. Every individual has the right to choose his or her own employment. This includes, but
not limited to, the right to work, the right to choose employment, the right to determine if particular conditions of employment are just and to refuse work of unfavorable conditions.
2. Each employee and contractor of ASG Advisors will be paid based upon job description, duties fulfilled and hours expected. The company will pay all individuals performing equal duties fair wages regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or any other factors that are predetermined by birth and have no affect on job performances.
3. All members have the right to rest and leisure, free from work allocated from ASG Advisors which includes, but not limited to, reasonable hours of daily work expect by employer and respect for personal days on an days of holidays celebrated by employee.
4. ASG Advisors confronts the importance of securing ones health. The company is committed to protecting the basic standard of living for one and one’s family. One should be able to provide shelter, food, water, and clothing to one’s family. If one is not capable of doing so, while employed by ASG Advisors the founders and other members will help that individual until he or she may be resilient on himself or herself.
5. All women who become pregnant during employment at ASG Advisors shall be granted a leave with pay for eight weeks after the birth of the new child. After the eight weeks are ended, she may return to her prior job and prior pay to her pregnancy.
6. Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance.
7. Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference.
8. ASG Advisors will not subjugate its employees to arbitrary interference with his or her privacy, family, home or correspondence, or to undue attacks upon his or her honor and reputation.
- Measurement of outcomes
Description of how the company monitors and evaluates performance.
In addition to establishing a company policy directly related to the protection of Human Rights, ASG Advisors has established an acknowledgment form that allows members to understand what rights are protect in regards to their work place. The founders of the company and all other members shall serve as checks and balance to ensure that these rights and the policy is not violated.
- Assessment, policy and goals
Description of the relevance of labour rights for the company (i.e. labour rights-related risks and opportunities). Description of written policies, public commitments and company goals on labour rights.
It is ASG Advisors complete dedication to ensure the highest level of precaution is taken in preventing any ethical unfairness or violations of any code in regards to treatment or contracted action to employees, independent contractors, or fellow. Under international code and United States Law, ASG Advisors has the understanding that the company, as a private entity, has no previous violations. However, it has implemented the policy below to prevail this current trend and avoiding at all costs future labor violations.
As the private business of ASG Advisors is in no way in violation, nor has it been in violation, of current policy, it may not be true for business partners. It is ASG Advisors goal as here by stated that in the next two years it would only correspond in new partnerships that adhere to ASG Advisors, LCC Labor Conduct Policy. In the culmination of five years, it is ASG Advisors second goal to cease partnership with any and all businesses that fail to participate with a policy similar outlined in this document and the amendments that will follow in the future.
In effort of promoting change, ASG Advisors is a contributor to the Polaris Project and combating human trafficking. ASG Advisors believes that every human is qualified to the same basic rights, of which is stripped away in industries such as human trafficking. Human trafficking resonates slavery and the company believes that these acts are eroding the labor rights of all humans that are involved.
Description of concrete actions taken by the company to implement labour policies, address labour risks and respond to labour violations.
SG Advisors has formulated the following as its Labor Conduct Policy:
1. Safety and Health Standards: ASG Advisors grants its employees, members, and fellows the following right when concerned with health and safety
a. Employees have the right to notify ASG Advisors or governments about workplace hazards.
b. Employees have the right to request a government inspection if the individual believes that there are unsafe and unhealthful conditions in your workplace, and may participate in investigation
c. If a complaint is filed, ASG Advisors will not fire or reduce pay for the individual who filed the complaint.
d. ASG Advisors must correct workplace hazards by the date indicated on any citation and must certify that these hazards have been reduced or eliminated.
e. Employee have the right to copies of their medical records or records of their exposure to toxic and harmful substances or conditions.
2. ASG Advisors as a company will adhere to comply with occupational safety laws and codes of the United States government and other international governments. The company will also do all that it can to furnish its employees a place of employment free from hazards.
3. ASG Advisors believes that children have a right to an education. From this view, it has determined the following child labor decree:
a. It will protect the educational opportunities of minors by prohibiting the hiring of anyone 16 or younger or any other minor whose employment may interfere with their educational experience
b. Minors of the age of 16 or 17, may be employed, however with ensuring that they are able to fulfill their educational expectations and the environment in which is claimed their workspace is in no way hazardous.
c. However, any person once reaching the age of 18, may be hired with out consideration of their educational experience
4. Except in the case of stipend intern or work/study programs, ASG Advisors will adhere to the United States minimum wage of not less than $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. Youths under 20 years of age may be paid a minimum wage of not less than $4.25 an hour during the first 90 consecutive calendar days of employment with an employer. ASG Advisors will not displace any employee to hire someone at the youth minimum wage. Any executive, administrative, outside sales people, or professionals hired with a special skill set are not subject to the pay wage of minimum wage.
5. ASG Advisors will not limit either the number of hours in a day or the number of days in a week that an employer may require an employee to work, as long as the employee is at least 16 years old.
6. ASG Advisors provides a means for employees to balance their work and family responsibilities by taking unpaid leave for certain reasons. To be eligible, an employee must have worked with ASG Advisors for more than 12 consecutive months and worked a minimum of 1,300 hours before the leave. Employees are entitled to take leaves for the following reasons:
Eight workweeks of leave in any 12-month period for:
i. Birth and care of the employee's child, within one year of birth
ii. Placement with the employee of a child for adoption or foster care, within one year of the placement
iii. Care of an immediate family member (spouse, child, parent) who has a serious health condition
iv. For the employee's own serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job
v. Any qualifying exigency arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is on active duty or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty in the U.S. National Guard or Reserves in support of a contingency operation
7. ASG Advisors holds a great respect for the service men and women of the United States. As so, it will allow returning service members to be reemployed in the job that they would have attained had they not been absent for military service, with the same seniority, status and pay, as well as other rights and benefits determined by seniority. Any reasonable efforts, such as training or retraining, are made to enable returning service members to qualify for reemployment. If the service member cannot qualify for the same job, he or she must be reemployed, if qualified, in any other position that is the nearest approximation to the escalator position and then to the pre-service position. While an individual is performing military service, he or she is deemed to be on a furlough or leave of absence and is entitled to the non-seniority rights accorded other similarly situated individuals on non-military leaves of absence. ASG Advisors will not discriminate against a person on the basis of past military service, current military obligations, or intent to serve. An employer must not deny initial employment, reemployment, and retention in employment, promotion, or any benefit of employment to a person on the basis of a past, present, or future service obligation.
8. ASG Advisors will refrain from discrimination and to engage in affirmative steps to ensure that applicants and employees receive equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, or transgender, sexual orientation, and/or national origin.
9. ASG Advisors is an equal opportunity employer and will hire any qualified individual, even if he or she has a disability, to fill particular positions. Any employee or tentative employee who feels that he or she has been discriminated against based upon a disability that does not affect their credibility for a position may choose to file a complaint with ASG Advisors or the United States OFCCP.
- Measurement of outcomes
Description of how the company monitors and evaluates performance.
In addition to establishing a company policy directly related to the protection of Labor Rights, ASG Advisors has established an acknowledgment form that allows members to understand what rights are protect in regards to their work place. The founders of the company and all other members shall serve as checks and balance to ensure that these rights and the policy is not violated.
- Assessment, policy and goals
Description of the relevance of environmental protection for the company (i.e. environmental risks and opportunities). Description of policies, public commitments and company goals on environmental protection.
ASG Advisors, LLC aims to make a significant reduction to its impact on the environment by first setting up sustainable home offices and then in the future looking to new programs once this is established. ASG Advisors believes that reducing its own impact is beneficial for it promotes future ecological health, it conserves resources that are nonrenewable, and also it allows the company to cut down on costs of wasted energy or materials.
In order to succeed in establishing sustainable home offices, we have created a three- sectioned program to ensure that the offices are maximizing their energy and water use and minimizing their wastes. The sections are divided into: Making Energy Use Sustainable, Reducing Water Waste, and Properly Using and Disposing Other Materials.
Description of concrete actions to implement environmental policies, address environmental risks and respond to environmental incidents.
ASG Advisors has formulated the following as its Corporate Environmental Responsibility Policy:
The policy is divided into two sections, making energy use sustainable and reducing water waste.
Making Energy Use Sustainable
The goal of ASG Advisors is not to eliminate energy use, however to use the energy needed sustainably while significantly reducing the carbon impact.
Although members work primarily from home, since ASG Advisor’s clients and members are scattered, it is necessary to travel bicoastal and internationally. As a company members fly on average 4,000 miles each month, however after members have been informed of the significant energy and carbon impact of such travel, the company vows to only travel when absolutely necessary and to combine long travel trips to maximize the time spent away from the home offices.
In addition to understanding the impact of long distance travel trips, members of ASG Advisors have been informed that by leaving a car in the garage two days in the normal business week, each individual can prevent an additional 1,590 pounds of greenhouse emissions annually. It is understood that members may not be able to do this every week, as ASG Advisors is a small business and demands vary, they do vow that whenever possible they will travel by foot, bike, public transportation, or not commute for work.
In regards to energy consumed in the home offices, ASG Advisors has set up the following mandatory electricity protocol.
(1) ASG Advisors will turn off all types of equipment when it will not be used in a maximum of 20 minutes. This can cut electricity use and costs by 20%.
(2) During the day, members will reduce the amount of electric lights used in the office and house by using the natural light.
(3) Members, who own the home offices, will turn down their water heater thermostat to a maximum of 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
(4) Any furnace that is 15 years or older will be replaced with an EnergyStar® furnace within two years. Any refrigerator that is 12 years or older will be replaced with an EnergyStar® refrigerator. Any other appliance that by some means are no longer usable will be replaced with EnergyStar® appliances only.
(5) Any unused electrical outlets will be filled with outlet gasket to ensure that no electricity is being wasted.
(6) All lights in rooms not in use will be turned off. One light bulb that is left on 8 hours extra every day can cost over 20 dollars every year.
(7) Once current light bulbs burn out, all replacement bulbs will be of maximum efficiency, such as Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs.
(8) The battery chargers and power adapters that are not being used will be unplugged from the electrical outlets. In addition, all outlets will have power strips so that when appliances and electronics are not in use in a general area, the strip may be turned off and preventing leaking electricity.
(9) Any older windows will be re-caulked in the next year to prevent outside air from coming in or heat escaping. During the winter, all windows will use drapes to future insulate the windows from the cold exterior air source.
Additionally, to help promote and use sustainable sources of energy, all ASG Advisors home offices will participate in any clean energy initiatives. These include, yet are not limited to, enrollment in clean energy production programs, like Blue Sky Renewable Energy, that help create demand for renewable energy, like wind or solar, at a smaller level while still making a marginal impact to reducing the dependence on fossil fuels. ASG Advisors will also be looking into solar chargers for adapters and battery charging to determine if they are efficient and cost effective at this time.
Reducing Water Waste
ASG Advisors understands the importance of fresh water and the natural limited quantity possessed on Earth. For these reasons, ASG Advisors finds it crucial to conserve water as practicably as possible. Below are the mandates to be followed by all home offices affiliated with ASG Advisors.
(1) The most important initiative that any business or individual can make to ensure that water is not being wasted is to make sure that all the plumbing is properly working and not leaking or contaminating the fresh water. A single drip every second for one year wastes over 10,000 liters of water.
(2) For any toilet that is not water efficient, ASG Advisors home offices will use displacement toilet dams in the toilet reservoir, which can save four liters of water per flush.
Properly Using and Disposing Materials
There are many realms of sustainability that lay outside the realms of energy and water. ASG Advisors believes that it is very important to first use materials for their intended purpose and then disposing those materials in a safe and responsible manner. The following is a list of instructions as to how to use certain materials and how to discard the materials as well.
(1) Any communication that can be, should be communicated electronically. Items will not be printed unless there is an absolute need to do so.
(2) ASG Advisors will seek out to use local companies for products, materials and services whenever possible. Using local companies help promote small business growth and sustainability.
(3) When using local providers is not possible, ASG Advisors will use eco-friendly supplies that use recycled materials and those that do not over package supplies.
(4) If the company is printing, it vows to always print double sided. (5) ASG Advisors will cut back its use of disposable one-time materials, like plastic
water bottles. Instead of using single use materials, members will use sturdier materials like plastics 1, 2, 4, and 5, metal, and glass and avoid plastics 3 and 7 altogether.
(6) When waste is created it will be disposed of in a responsible manner. This means that whenever possible, members will recycle. Materials that must always be recycled are paper, plastics, glass, electronics, and appliances.
- Measurement of outcomes
Description of how the company monitors and evaluates environmental performance.
In addition to establishing a company policy directly related to Environmental Corporate Responsibility, ASG Advisors has established an acknowledgment form that allows members to understand what rights are protect in regards to their work place. The founders of the company and all other members shall serve as checks and balance to ensure that these responsibilitis and the policy is not violated.
- Assessment, policy and goals
Description of the relevance of anti-corruption for the company (i.e. anti-corruption risk-assessment). Description of policies, public commitments and company goals on anti-corruption.
Under the United States Foreign Corruption Act, the company of ASG Advisors is not in any way in violation of anti-corruption laws, acts, or codes. ASG Advisors holds that any type of business corruption extremely seriously and in order for it’s members and business partners to understand the company’s view on such issues, it has outlaid the following Anti-Corruption Business Policy.
Description of concrete actions to implement anti-corruption policies, address anti-corruption risks and respond to incidents.
ASG Advisors has formulated the following as its Anti-Corruption Policy:
1. The policy precludes ASG Advisors from in any way forcing an employee to give up any part of the compensation to which he or she is entitled under his or her contract of employment.
2. It is against ASG Advisors policy for any executive, employee, or fellow of United of such domestic concern or any stockholder thereof acting on behalf of such domestic concern, to make use of the mails or any means or instrumentality of interstate commerce corruptly in furtherance of an offer, payment, promise to pay, or authorization of the payment of any money, or offer, gift, promise to give, or authorization of the giving of anything of value to any foreign official for purposes of the following in order to assist such domestic concern in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person.
a. Influencing any act or decision of such foreign official in his official capacity, inducing such foreign official to do or omit to do any act in violation of the lawful duty of such official, or securing any improper advantage; or
b. Inducing such foreign official to use his influence with a foreign government or instrumentality thereof to affect or influence any act or decision of such government or instrumentality, in order to assist such domestic concern in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person;
c. Any foreign political party or official thereof or any candidate for foreign political office for purposes of influencing any act or decision of such party, official, or candidate in its or his official capacity, inducing such party, official, or candidate to do or omit to do an act in violation of the lawful duty of such party, official, or candidate, or securing any improper advantage; or inducing such party, official, or candidate to use its or his influence with a foreign government or instrumentality thereof to affect or influence any act or decision of such government or instrumentality, in order to assist such domestic concern in obtaining or retaining business for or with, or directing business to, any person;
d. Any person, while knowing that all or a portion of such money or thing of value will be offered, given, or promised, directly or indirectly, to any foreign official, to any foreign political party or official thereof, or to any candidate for foreign political office, for purposes of influencing any act or decision of such foreign official, political party, party official, or candidate in his or its official capacity, inducing such foreign official, political party, party official, or candidate to do or omit to do any act in violation of the lawful duty of such foreign official, political party, party official, or candidate, or securing any improper advantage; or inducing such foreign official, political party, party official, or candidate to use
his or its influence with a foreign government or instrumentality thereof to affect or influence any act or decision of such government or instrumentality.
- Measurement of outcomes
Description of how the company monitors and evaluates anti-corruption performance.
In addition to establishing a company policy directly related to the protection of Anti-Corruption, ASG Advisors has established an acknowledgment form that allows members to understand what rights are protect in regards to their work place. The founders of the company and all other members shall serve as checks and balance to ensure that the policy is not violated.