The United Nations Global Compact has shared a special appeal #UnitingBusiness around a corporate response to the COVID-19 pandemic: for all companies to take collective action to stem the outbreak through implementing our Ten Principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. Businesses are also being called upon to stand together to facilitate business continuity for a fast recovery. Effectively addressing this crisis requires an active response from Governments, business and the whole of society. Leaders including UN Secretary-General António Guterres and the Director-General of the World Health Organization Tedros Adhanom have called for Governments and businesses to work together with all sectors of society to meet this challenge.
Join us for one of six regional spotlight sessions (detailed below) as part of a special series from the UN Global Compact Academy highlighting new and existing approaches to leadership in a time of global crisis. In these sessions, you’ll hear from leaders from the United Nations, Government and business as they share their experiences responding to COVID-19 and discuss how to pursue immediate and coordinated multi-stakeholder action.
Tuesday 12 May 2020 | 9:00 a.m. (Jakarta) 10:00 a.m (Beijing) | 11:00 a.m. (Tokyo) | 12:00 p.m. (Melbourne)
This session will be conducted in Chinese with simultaneous translation in English.
- Huang Wensheng, Vice President & Secretary to the Board of Directors, Sinopec Corporation
- Li Haifeng, Director General, Shanghai Fosun Foundation
- Li Xiaodong, Vice Chairman, Internet Society of China
- Qiao Jianrong, Coordinator, Health Systems & Health Security, WHO China
Tuesday,12 May 2020 | 9:30am (New Delhi) | 11:00 a.m. (Bangkok) | 2 p.m. (Melbourne)
This session will be conducted in English with simultaneous translation in Japanese.
Moderator: Rini Simon Khanna, Media Personality and Anchor
Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations and Executive Secretary of UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific
Sandra Wu, Chairperson and CEO, Kokusai Kogyo Co., Ltd
Jaime Augusto Zobel de Ayala, Chairman and CEO, Ayala Corporation
Tuesday, 12 May 2020 | 8:30 a.m. (Cairo) | 9:30 a.m. (Beirut) | 10:30 a.m. (Dubai)
This session will be conducted in English.
Dr. Rola Dashti, Executive Secretary, UN ESCWA
Maissa Abou Adal, Board Member, Holdal - Abou Adal Group
Ibrahim Al-Zu'bi, Chief Sustainability Officer, Majid Al Futtaim Holding
Raji Hattar, Chief Sustainability Officer, Aramex
Tuesday, 12 May 2020 | 12:00 p.m. (Cape Town) | 1:00 p.m. (Nairobi)
This session will be conducted in English with simultaneous translation in French
- Bola Adesola, Senior Vice-Chairman, Standard Chartered Bank Group
- Vera Songwe, United Nations Under-Secretary General and Executive Secretary, Economic Commission for Africa
- Jeremy Awori, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Absa Bank Kenya
- Hassan Medaghri, Founding Partner, Africa Impact Ventures
Tuesday, 12 May 2020 | 10:30 a.m. (New York) | 9:30 a.m. (Panama) | 11.30 a.m. (Buenos Aires)
This session will be conducted in Spanish with simultaneous translation in English and Portuguese.
Alicia Bárcena, Executive Secretary, UN ECLAC
Luis Felipe López-Calva, Regional Director Latin America and the Caribbean, UNDP
Thomas Keller, CEO, Colbún
Raúl Alemán, President, Banco General
Tuesday, 12 May 2020 | 8:30 a.m. (New York) | 1:30 p.m. (London) | 2:30 p.m. (Copenhagen) | 3:30 p.m. (Kiev)
This session will be conducted in English with simultaneous translation in French.
- Frans Timmermans, Executive Vice President and Commissioner for Climate Action, European Commission
- Olga Algayerová, Executive Secretary, UNECE
- Frans van Houten, CEO, Royal Philips
- Wiktor Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Netguru