Background Information | Events Archive
Launched by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Business for Peace (B4P) is a business leadership platform that aims to expand and deepen private sector action in support of peace - in the workplace, marketplace and local communities. The platform assists companies to implement responsible business practices aligned with the UN Global Compact Ten Principles in conflict-affected and high-risk areas and catalyze action to advance peace.
Participants will be able to:
- Better identify and manage business risks and opportunities while reducing operational costs;
- Engage in public-private dialogue to establish local priorities and implement projects;
- Align business strategies and operations with good practice from across the globe;
- Share best and emerging practices and learn from the experiences of peers; and
- Demonstrate leadership and receive recognition for advancing practical solutions.
B4P Action Areas
Recognizing that sources of instability vary according to the context and that companies in different contexts will have vastly different roles to play in different situations, B4P will support a range of private sector actions to advance peace around the globe. Some of the issue areas identified include:
- Infrastructure development projects;
- Providing for basic needs, including water, shelter and food;
- Training programmes to increase human capital, especially for ex-combatants and youth;
- Promoting fair land rights and acquisition;
- Natural resource management, including water;
- Encouraging entrepreneurship and job creation; and
- Helping to foster inter-religious and inter-cultural understanding.
(Last updated: 19 March 2014)